Bud’s Cowboy Beans
It’s supposed to be lucky to eat beans on the first of the year, or so says the “Organization of American Bean Producers.” So, we started 2016 out right with a batch of Cowboy Beans using Brenda’s Dad’s recipe. Yum!
Like any good cook, Brenda’s dad had no written recipe for this, he just made it up as he went along. It’s sweet, tangy, and bacon-y. What’s not to like?
- 5 or so slices of chopped, uncooked bacon,
- about a pound of hamburger,
- about 1/2 chopped onion,
- about 4 cans of various kinds of beans,
- about 1/2 cup ketchup,
- 3-4 tablespoons of vinegar or more (depends on how tangy you want it),
- 1/2 cup or so brown sugar,
- a tsp of mustard (powdered or prepared),
- salt, & pepper.
You can also throw in green peppers, molasses, chili powder, liquid smoke (hickory flavor), or whatever you have laying around that you think might taste good.
Cook the bacon, onion, and hamburger and drain. Throw in everything else and play around until it tastes good to you.